Nothing kicks off the beginning of the school year like … time off from work and school. Labor Day weekend is always a great time to catch up with family and friends one last time before everyone gets busy in the fall. However, if you’re not careful, it is easy for a fun holiday weekend to end badly. Here are some quick tips to make sure you and your loved ones stay safe this Labor Day weekend.
- Wear your seatbelt.
- Drive cautiously.
- Be careful when driving in work zones.
- Follow the speed limits.
- Make stops frequently to stretch your legs and ensure alertness.
- Be respectful of other drivers.
- If you are out drinking, make sure you have a designated driver.
- Turn your headlights on before dusk or during bad weather.
- Be aware of the weather forecast for the duration of your trip.
- Be careful not to allow your gas tank to get too low.
- Make sure you alert someone to your destination, route, and when you should be arriving in the event that you have trouble on the way and fail to reach your destination.
- Keep all matches and lighters out of the reach of children.
- Check to make sure your grill is in good working order and that all hoses and connections are properly attached with no leaks.
- Position the grill away from the house siding, deck, or from under eaves.
- Keep children away from the cooking area.
- Make sure the grill is being attended at all times.
- Be careful if using lighter fluid and do not add it directly to the flames, as it could cause flashback.
- Carefully dispose of hot coals, hosing them down with water and stirring them until cool.
- Be sure to limit your alcohol consumption, and get a ride home if you have been drinking.
- Make sure you camp only in designated camping areas.
- Be aware of your surroundings and don’t start a fire near low-hanging branches or shrubbery.
- Never use lighter fluid, gasoline, or any other flammable liquid on a fire, and keep your campfire small.
- Never leave your fire unattended.
- Watch children and pets carefully when they are near the fire.
- Douse your fire with water and dirt when you are finished, stirring it until it is cool.
- Make sure that all swimmers follow the rules at the beach and pool.
- Never let small children swim without supervision.
- Watch for signs about strong currents and other hazards.
- Wear sunscreen and reapply it every two hours and after getting out of the water.
If you follow these and other safety precautions, your holiday should be a fun one. The entire staff at Plantation General Hospital wishes you and your family a great Labor Day weekend!