Do you find yourself longing for a moment of quiet shut-eye at inconvenient moments? Maybe you experience an afternoon slump every workday, or the need for a nap appears when you still have a mile-long to-do list for the day. Chaining yourself to a coffee machine and painfully pushing through each hour is no way to live your life. If you’re getting enough sleep, chronic fatigue shouldn’t be something you need to suffer through. Simple lifestyle changes can give you the energy to greet each day with the momentum and passion you need.
Change Your Diet
Food choices rank as a top cause of chronic fatigue. Whether you’re skipping meals, overloading on sugars and white flour, or depriving yourself of a crucial nutrient, the foods you choose (and don’t choose) can make your days feel long and tiring. To give yourself the most energy possible, try these diet tips:
- Eat a healthy breakfast that includes protein every morning. No exceptions!
- Eat a variety of fresh fruits and vegetables throughout the entire day.
- Don’t go longer than four hours without something to munch on.
- Choose whole wheat bread over white.
- Make sure you’re getting plenty of fiber and omega-3s.
- Cut back on caffeine. It might worsen your fatigue initially, but as you break the addiction you will find you don’t need coffee or tea to artificially boost your wakefulness.
- If you won’t skip dessert entirely, at least save it for the end of the day.
Many people who complain of fatigue lead a sedentary lifestyle. They sit at a desk all day, and spend their evenings in front of a television. Regular exercise, especially in the morning, will get your blood flowing and keep you awake all day.
When you find yourself fading, try one of these instant fixes:
- Get up, stretch, and walk around.
- Splash your face with cold water.
- Close your eyes and breathe deeply.
- Talk to a friend.
- Eat a healthy snack.
- Turn on your favorite upbeat song.
- Clean up your workspace.
Are you experiencing unexplained periods of low-energy? Fatigue can sometimes be a symptom of a larger health concern. The staff at Plantation General Hospital can help. Call our free Consult-A-Nurse® service at 1-866-442-2362 with questions or to receive a physician referral.